Saturday, April 17, 2010

100 Frugal Tips in 100 Days: Tip # 9

Tip # 9 Comparison shop

Especially for the things you buy the most often. My challenge to you is to pick 5 things that you buy the most, and in the next 2 weeks, when you are out at various stores, jot down the price on a piece of paper in your purse or wallet. You may be surprised how much cheaper things are at one store versus another.

The next step in comparison shopping is to keep track of what things cost when you get them on sale or with coupons. Another way to do this is to keep a price book. This way, you'll know what you can usually get the item for and can stock up when prices are low so you can make it to the next sale. You should never have to pay full price again!



2 Tips within a Tip

1) It doesn't hurt to do this a couple of times a year, even if you're a seasoned couponer and deal seeker. I used to always buy frozen chicken from Sam's Club, until I realized that it was actually cheaper if I bought it when it was on sale and just took the time to freeze it myself. Recently, I've been waiting for boneless, skinless chicken breasts to go on sale because I am planning a Freezer Cooking Day this month, but they don't seem to be on sale anywhere. I decided to check the prices on the frozen chicken in Sam's Club the other day, and the prices have come back down! It's actually cheaper at Sam's Club (and less prep work too!)

2) Make a game of it! My friend Penny had the great idea to (drag?) bring her husband along with her to Walmart one evening. She gave him a list of items that she wanted to price check, and she had her own list. Whoever got through their list first got to buy the item of their choice for $10 or less!

No comments:

Post a Comment